Benefits Of Spinach
Top Benefits of Spinach
In addition to being a delicious vegetable, you will discover many benefits of spinach from a nutritional standpoint. Often, getting kids to eat vegetables is tough, but when cooked in certain ways, spinach is enjoyed by kids and adults. When looking at all the vegetables we eat, without doubt, spinach is by far the most nutritional. Some of the other good factors associated with this food item include the following.
- Low Calorie – Spinach is very low in calories so for people wanting to lose weight or simply maintain a healthy weight find this to be an excellent choice. In fact, when looking at the number of vitamins associated with spinach for caloric value, no other food competes.
- Vitamins – Spinach is loaded with vitamins, as well as minerals and phytonutrients. Spinach is rich in Vitamins A, B2, B6, C, E, and K. Other nutrients include omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, copper, zinc, niacin, selenium, potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium, folate, manganese, phosphorus, and protein.
- Availability – While some vegetables are more seasonal, spinach can be found in grocery stores any time of year. In addition, this particular vegetable is grown all around the globe so no matter where you go, if you wanted spinach, you could find it.
- Affordability – Considering the incredible nutritional value and flavor that spinach offers, the price is low. This vegetable is also delicious and filling so for the low cost, you get a lot in exchange.
- Versatility – Another one of the benefits of spinach is the level of versatility. As an example, you could use uncooked spinach to make a delicious and fresh salad, one using the spinach as the sole type of lettuce coupled with various vegetables and fruits, or you could mix spinach with other types of lettuce. Spinach can also be cooked in a number of ways, such as boiling with a little butter and salt, baked with seasoning, butter, and crackers, added to meat casseroles or soups, or even mixed with other vegetables and fruits to make refreshing and healthy smoothies.
- Antioxidants – We see a growing number of people taking preventative measures for fighting off illness and disease. When free radicals take hold of the body, all types of bad health problems can develop. To fight free radicals, the body needs flavonoids, which provide antioxidant properties. In fact, medical researchers have discovered 13 unique flavonoid compounds that prevent cancer. Spinach is loaded with flavonoids, making it a perfect food to keep the body protected and healthy.
- Carotenoid – Another one of the unique benefits of spinach is carotenoid, which is a type of lutein. With this compound, different types of eye disease can be prevented or controlled to include macular degeneration and cataracts. While not fully confirmed, some medical doctors and researchers believe that adding a small amount of olive oil to the spinach actually helps the carotenoid to be better digested.
- Anti-Inflammatory – The last of the benefits of spinach we wanted to cover is this food’s ability to fight off inflammation. Because of certain nutrients, people living with painful arthritis, migraines, osteoporosis, and even asthma have gained relief and been able to keep the onset of attacks to a minimum.