How To Make Your Own Coconut Extract And Conditioner
Coconut extract finds a place in many of your desserts, drinks and main dish recipes. This ingredient is considered a must have in every kitchen, big or small, used by novice or expert, chefs or bakers.
The beauty of this delicious extract is that it is so incredibly versatile that it can be used in a multitude of dishes including coconut custard pie, coconut macaroons, coconut cream pie and coconut cookies. Coconut extract is equally as popular in coconut cream cakes and breads as well. Just a dash of this heavenly essential is all that you need to transform your dishes such as coconut shrimp and drinks like coconut pineapple martinis, to items that your guests will be talking about for days.
Make Your Own
Things you will need to make your own coconut extract includes one coconut, small bottles with lids, vodka, cheese grater, knife, vegetable peeler, strainer, measuring cup, nails, hammer, baking sheet and large mixing bowl.
- Step One – Open up the coconut by finding the three eyes that are located on one end. Hammer a nail into each eye and then remove the nail after the hole is made.
- Step Two – Pour out the milk from the coconut in a container and then place the whole coconut on your baking sheet.
- Step Three – Bake at 375 degrees for around 15 minutes and then remove the coconut from the oven.
- Step Four – Separate the husk from the hard shell. The husk is brown and is easily pulled away from the meat of the coconut by using a vegetable peeler.
- Step Five – Rinse the white meat from the coconut under cold water.
- Step Six – Grate the coconut meat using your cheese grater.
- Step Seven – Pour about an ounce and a half of grated coconut in your bottles that have lids.
- Step Eight – Cover with vodka. Put the lid on tight and shake violently.
- Step Nine – Store these bottles in a dark, cool place for a week, taking the time to give them a good shake everyday to help keep the coconut and vodka mixed up.
- Step Ten – Using a strainer, strain the meat from the coconut out of the liquid. Replace the liquid back in your bottles.
Your homemade coconut extract can be used in cakes, cookies, pies, breads, drinks, candies, lotions and personal hygiene products.
Treat Your Hair
Coconut oil is a remarkable, deep moisturizing conditioner. To treat your hair to a nourishing treatment, you will need coconut extract or oil, rose concrete, sweet almond oil, spatula, electric mixer and a plastic mixing bowl.
- Step One – Pour two tablespoons of oil from a coconut into a mixing bowl and use a spatula to knead it until it softens into a creamy texture. If you are using fresh extract, it will already be soft.
- Step Two – Add in about one tablespoon of the sweet almond oil and continue stirring until the almond oil and coconut oil are well blended together.
- Step Three – Add a pea-sized portion of rose concrete into the oil substance in your bowl. The purpose of the concrete is to give the oil a spreadable texture and a pleasant fragrance. You may need to really work with your spoon to break up the concrete to a bendable consistency.
- Step Four – Using your electric mixer, beat this substance on low for five minutes. When you are done, it should be a frothy, creamy paste.
- Step Five – Apply the substance to your hair, starting at your roots and spreading it out evenly to the ends.
- Step Six – Allow this to sit for at least 15 minutes and then rinse well.
Coconuts provide one of the most nourishing oils you can use to improve the health of your hair. Also, if you do not have sweet almond oil, this can be replaced with olive oil or jojoba oil. Additionally, you can even add a couple of drops of essential oil to change the scent of the conditioner. Vanilla always blends well with rose, as does sandalwood.