Hair Dye Allergy

Information about Having a Hair Dye Allergy

If you dye your hair you may have a hair dye allergy.  This is something that really is not that uncommon and many people may not even realize how dangerous it is.  There are several different ways that the allergy may develop and you should be aware of the cause if you begin to notice the symptoms.  It is also important to understand what you can do about the symptoms and how you can help decrease them.

A hair dye allergy may appear as a skin rash or burn.  You may also feel a burning or itching sensation on your skin.  This can be felt just about anywhere on the body as you could experience these feelings on the eye lids, ears and other facial areas.  You may also have trouble breathing and you may begin wheezing or coughing.  Many of these allergic reactions are going to begin shortly after you have come into contact with the hair dye.

Another hair dye allergy that is rare, but not unheard of is anaphylactic shock.  This causes the person to have difficulty breathing and it will cause the persons blood pressure to drop.  This can cause death for the person if you do not get help immediately.  Even though this is not something that happens often, you need to be aware of the fact that it could happen.

Another hair dye allergy reaction that is less severe is a dry scalp.  You may notice that you have flakes in your hair.  It is possible that it could simply be dandruff, but it could be an allergic reaction to your hair dye.  You may be able to pinpoint the cause if you have noticed it right after you have dyed your hair or you notice it each time that you dye your hair.

If you think that you have a hair dye allergy you are going to want to take the necessary steps to avoid future complications.  You will need to start by washing all of your bed clothes, towels and washcloths.  The hair dye will often stick to your hair for a few days after you have dyed your hair.  These chemicals are then going to come in contact with the areas that your head has touched, such as blankets and pillows.  You are going to want to be sure that you are washing all of these materials so that you are not continually coming into contact with them.  You do not want to start the allergic reaction over again once it has been taken care of.

If you have experienced a hair dye allergy you may need to go to the doctor’s office and get a shot to clear it up. The doctor is going to want to know what you believed caused the reaction so be sure to know what type of hair dye you used.  They may be able to give you a cream to help with any itching or pain that you may be experiencing.  They may also be able to recommend a special shampoo that is going to help you get all of the dye residue out of your hair and help your scalp heal.

You may have noticed hair dyes that claim to be hypoallergenic.  What you need to realize is that this has not been proven.  Just because they say that does not mean you will not have an allergic reaction to them.  Therefore, if you have suffered from a hair dye allergy in the past, you may want to avoid dying your hair in the future.  This is the safest thing for you to do to avoid causing yourself more pain and suffering.