Natural Methods for Increasing Fertility
There are a lot of ways you can go about increasing fertility. It’s usually best to try gentle, natural methods first.
Knowing Your Cycle
For females, the easiest and most natural thing you can do right now to increase your chances of getting pregnant is: know your menstrual cycle and take advantage of it. Many women track their cycle as a way of timing intercourse for the time of the month when they are ovulating. Ovulation is when your ovaries expel mature eggs (ovum) that will wait in the uterus for fertilization. This is the portion of your menstrual cycle just prior to your period, and intercourse during this time is much more likely to result in conception.
Once you ovulate, you have about a day or two before the egg dies and is shed along with some of your uterine lining during your period. To chart your ovulation, try an online tracker. You can also buy testing strips at the drugstore for the most accurate reading.
Remember to eat well and take good care of yourself. Your menstrual cycle can be disrupted by stress, bad nutrition, and lack of sleep so keep your health in check if you are trying to get pregnant! One of the single best things you can do to naturally help in your quest to conceive is eat a healthy diet.
Eating For Fertility
Studies have shown that eating certain kinds of foods can help with increasing fertility in women of childbearing age. Consume lots of the following foods for a fertility friendly diet.
- High fiber, complex carbohydrates like whole grains and leafy green vegetables
- Plenty of dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt
- Vegetable protein (as opposed to animal-derived proteins)
- Olive oil, flaxseed oil, and other sources of so-called “good fats”
Another reason to improve your diet is that overweight women have a harder time getting pregnant. Research has pointed out that having a healthy body mass index (BMI) gives a woman greater chances of being able to conceive. Conversely, excessively thin women also have more difficulty conceiving. The key here is to maintain a healthy weight for your body type. Talk to your doctor if you think your weight might hinder your ability to become pregnant.
More Natural Fertility Boosters
- Acupuncture, usually used in conjunction with other stress-reducing therapies, has been shown to help with fertility problems. This Chinese form of healing is believed to free up blockages in your body and restore a healthy balance.
- Some herbs are believed to be helpful in increasing fertility. Herbs like Dong Quai and Chasteberry have been shown to help normalize hormonal levels, which can help you to get pregnant. Always consult your doctor before beginning any kind of supplement regimen.
- Certain sexual positions are said to be more likely to result in pregnancy. Positions that allow for deeper penetration will increase the chances of fertilization. Another thing you can try is tilting your hips upward for several minutes after sex to prevent semen from escaping.
- Avoiding or eliminating drugs, alcohol, caffeine, and high-fat or high-sugar foods from your diet will help, too.
- Stress is another huge factor when it comes to getting pregnant. In studies, women who were highly stressed had far more difficulty conceiving than women who were not. If you have a high-pressure job or are dealing with other heavy stressors on a daily basis, know that these things could affect your ability to become pregnant. Make sure to set aside time to relax, unwind, and rejuvenate on a daily basis.